In this post i am going to explain two methods to extend SharePoint 2010 web application that uses classic mode authentication.
Method 1: Using Power Shell
Run SharePoint 2010 power shall with administrator’s right. Steps are simple
- click All Programs on the Start Menu
- click the Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Products option
- click the SharePoint 2010 Management Shell option
type the following commands and press enter
Get-SPWebApplication -Identity http://SRV048:20691 | New-SPWebApplicationExtension –Name SharePoint 1346 -HostHeader www.sharepointdemo.com -Port 1346 -Zone Intranet -URL http://SRV048:1346/
Method 2: Using SharePoint 2010 Central Administration
1. Open Central Administration. Then click Manage Web Applications listed under Application Management
2. In the Application Management screen, locate your web application. The application we will use to extend is SharePoint-8080
3. Select the application and click on Extend
4. Next Screen will be like below. Enter your details. You can use host headers in case you have multiple websites running on the same port in your IIS web server.
5. Scroll down and you will find the Public URL specifications. This setting configures the SharePoint website for public access. You can customize the settings and the zone as per the requirement.
For the zones you have four choices – Intranet, Internet, Custom and Extranet. Click OK.
6. Now your web application has extended. You verify either directly by entering http://servername:Port or you can check website from IIS manager as shown below:
7. If your site doesn’t come up please restart IIS web server using this command