Sometime you are working on a technology for a long time but you still feel difficult to explain in a non-technical way or in simple words. Same case is with SharePoint, SharePoint is not simple thing. SharePoint is not a program, it is platform, it is collection of programs. Learning SharePoint is learning like MS Office. You don’t learn one product you learn whole package i.e. MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access so on.
What does SharePoint do, it makes websites. For every purpose you can create a website. It is a massive website build engine. SharePoint helps to collaborate your work with other team members, not only within your organisation but also outside the organisation.
There are some other definations of SharePoint by some other authors, It will help you understand better about SharePoint.
- SharePoint provides business users with the tools they need to effectively manage and share information, automate business process, collaborate, and interact with others. [SharePoint 2010 Users Guide by Seth Bates and Tony Smith]
- A SharePoint site is a Web site that provides a central storage and collaboration space for documents, information, and ideas. A SharePoint site is a tool for collaboration, just like a telephone is a tool for communication, or a meeting is a tool for decision making. A SharePoint site helps groups of people (whether work teams or social groups) share information and work together. For example, a SharePoint site can help you:
* Coordinate projects, calendars, and schedules.
* Discuss ideas and review documents or proposals.
* Share information and keep in touch with other people.
SharePoint sites are dynamic and interactive — members of the site can contribute their own ideas and content as well as comment on or contribute to other people’s.[Office.Microsoft.com]
- This video takes a friendly approach to show, how SharePoint can help you to work together with others in more efficient ways. [CommonCraft]